Thursday

Greek Pasta with my latest acquisition

I am always on the lookout for cool things to add to my kitchen (oh alright maybe just a tiny bit obsessed :-)) and seeing as it was on sale at an unbelievable price, I didn't think twice about buying it. It being a revolving Spice Rack - with 16 jars filled with everything from marjoram and oregano to dill weed and sea salt. So convenient for my experiments with non Indian cuisine. I couldn't wait to use the herbs so I looked for a recipe which called for some of these fragrant fellas!

The Cooking Light site had a recipe for Greek Pasta which used up the olives and goat cheese lying in the fridge as well. Win-win :-)

pasta

GREEK PASTA
(recipe adapted from here)
(serves 2-3)
3/4 of a 16 oz packet of whole wheat pasta
1/2 cup chopped plum tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
4 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 tablespooons lemon juice
5-6 pitted olives
2 tablespooons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup crumbled feta

Heat oil in a saucepan, add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add lemon juice, feta, tomatoes, parsley and oregano. Stir until well blended.

Add olives, season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile cook pasta in salted boiling water. When done, drain and run through cold water. Drain again and toss with the sauce. Season if required. Serve hot.

As for my herbs they didn't disappoint me; adding a lot of flavor and aroma to the pasta. Sure they don't come close to fresh but at $4 for a few wilted stalks, fresh herbs aren't always the best choice are they?
By the way dried herbs have a more intense flavor so always add a tiny bit in the beginning and adjust later.

Tags:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Ashwini,

Thanks for your comments on my blog and for the invitation. Yours look just splendid.

Are you also thinking of adding images to your recipes. That will make them even more approachable. Just a friendly suggestion.

That rotating spice jar is one item, I think almost all Indians here love to have in thier kitchen. I also have one, very pretty to look at too. I used all spices in those small jars, now they are fillied with our stuff like turmeric etc.,:) Good buy!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Hi Indira, yes I do plan on posting images...thanks for the suggestion.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page