Tuesday

ARF/ 5-a-day - Salad a la Dad

The credit for this one goes entirely to my father. As far back as I can remember, my dad has been in charge of the dinner salad in our house. Perhaps because of the abundance of vegetables in our main course, Indian cuisine has a limited repertoire of salads; these are usually in the form of raitas - chopped onions/ tomatoes/ cucumbers in a yogurt dip. In any case an elaborately prepared salad on the table is rare. Which is why, my dad took it upon himself to whip up something for us.

The routine went something like this - after my mother was done cooking dinner she watched a bit of television while my father headed into the kitchen and put together a salad. He would then offer it to everyone at the table, firmly holding the plate before you till he felt you had taken an appropriate helping!

Up until a few years ago, we didn't get a lot of salad vegetables in Bombay, but my father still managed to make something delicious with what was available - left-over vegetables, nuts, fruit, basically anything in the fridge that caught his eye! This ensured that we had a 'new' salad practically every day. Now that romaine, peppers and herbs are easily available in the market, he has a lot to play with, and my mother complains that the salads have gradually become so exotic, they overshadow the meal!

salad2

SALAD A LA DAD
1 pomegranate deseeded
1/2 cup seedless black grapes halved
1 mandarin/ orange diced
1 cup shredded cabbage + carrot (I used a coleslaw mix)
3-5 almonds slivered
some finely chopped cilantro
1-2 teaspoon lemon juice
a pinch of cumin powder
salt & pepper to taste

Combine the lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix salad ingredients in a large bowl and top with dressing. Dig in!!

Could there be a more appropriate entry for Sweetnicks' ARF/ 5-a-day Tuesday?

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger reshma said...

...and not a drop of oil too!

9:02 PM  
Blogger bilbo said...

that salad looks way too good. go dad.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Reshma - isnt it the healthiest thing? :-)
Thanks Bilbo, will let my dad know!

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salad looks and sounds delicious!

11:11 AM  
Blogger BDSN said...

Salads are definitely good for your health.But both my hubby and I havent been that much of salad eaters but as I see in ur blog and many others I definitely want to start someplace to begin making salads and I guess I will start with ur idea as its pretty simple ....Thanks a tonne for sharing this very simple recipe...

12:57 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Sweetnicks - thanks
BDSN - I got into the practice of eating a salad with every dinner because of my dad. Try this one - I think the fruits really add to the taste

1:06 PM  
Blogger sailu said...

The salad looks good and healthy and with chaat masala...am sure tastes great.

1:36 PM  
Blogger sailu said...

My list of must-try and must-eats are increasing by the day..:)
That salad is looking great,Ashwini.

10:17 PM  
Blogger BDSN said...

hey ashwini..

Wanted to let you know that I have added your recipe in my sideblog..Check it out!!

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow ashwini, a fruit based salad...just love it!

12:24 AM  
Blogger Meenal Mehta said...

lovely, works for me ..I love the colors and the fact that everyhting is in its original form ..

12:52 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Thanks Sailu, Lera and Meenal :-)

10:52 AM  
Blogger My_Journey said...

Hi Sis,

Thanks for sharing such an wonderful recipe and specially when I am trying to be strict abt diet coz of fat and weight.Pls convey my Regards and thanks to Dad.

May I request you to share few more salad recipes and meal (for lunch and dinner)recipes which may help in reducing a few pounds?

Have a Blessed year.

Best Regards n Smiles.

5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page