Wednesday

Golden goodness - Frittata

Eggs are a favorite breakfast food in my family. So after the bhurji, egg rolls, omelet and egg toasts have all been made, eaten and pronounced boooring, I A frittata, that's what.

Frittatas are baked Italian omelets, that unlike their Indian counterparts aren't restricted to onions and chillies. This makes them the perfect brunch food in my opinion, the vegetables and cheese sustain you till the invariably late weekend lunch, and the herbs are a welcome change from Indian spices.

Most of the recipes I came across called for a lot of cream or extra egg yolks in order to help the frittata set well. So I came up with my own version after a couple of hits and misses. I think it works just fine (with the added flavor of a guilt free meal :-)).

My favorite combination is bell peppers and mushrooms; you can try using other vegetables (zucchini, broccoli, corn) and cheese (cheddar, monterey etc.) as well.

frittata2a

FRITTATA (Italian style omelet)
(serves 3-4)
4 large eggs
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 green bell pepper
6-8 mushrooms
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp fresh basil
1 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley
5 tbsp goat cheese or shredded parmesan
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
olive oil

Pre heat oven to 400°F. Wash, core and cube the peppers. Clean and slice mushrooms. Peel and coarsely chop the garlic. Whisk eggs in a mixing bowl with salt, pepper and milk.

Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add garlic and saute for a minute. Add mushrooms and saute on medium high heat until their moisture dries up. Next add peppers and saute for 1-2 minutes.

Season with salt and pepper. Add herbs and mix well. If you have an oven proof skillet, add eggs right into the vegetable mixture, cook on stove top till they firm up, then pop the skillet into the oven.
If not, spoon the vegetables into an 8" round cake pan. Pour the egg mixture on top, then bake at 400°F for 12-15 minutes, or until the top is golden.

Slice and serve the frittata with a good, crusty bread.

frittata1

Entry for - Weekend Breakfast Blogging at Saffron Trail

Labels:

33 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh wow...that looks something great. Now you are tempting me to visit an Italian restaurant :). I am going to try this soon. thanks...

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I love frittata. Will try your version soon.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Rajesh &Shankari said...

It looks picture perfect! I love frittatas

10:30 PM  
Blogger Anupama said...

gosh this Frittata is something I have been wanting to make for ages but haven;t since I do not have a oven proof Skillet. Can I make it in anything else.

Loved your Paneer Tawa Masala.

4:29 AM  
Blogger Shah cooks said...

i too make this for b'fast often. will try ur next time. it looks perfect.

6:36 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Thanks Shilpa..let me know how you like it. Btw this would make a good lunch box too :-)
RP, Shaheen - let me when you try this
Thanks Shankari
Anupama - I have mentioned in my recipe that you can make the frittata in a cake pan if you don't have an oven proof skillet.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Ashwini,

What gorgeous photos! They are certainly making me hungry for frittata.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi ashwini
that's a great recipe.and the photo is really tempting.next time i know what to do with eggs.thanks for sharing

11:09 AM  
Blogger Chandrika said...

Hi Ashwini,

Thanks for a wonderful recipe...I tried making frittata once, but on stove top...It came out ok...Will try your recipe...It sounds yummy!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Chandrika said...

Hi Ashwini, I left a comment early on, but I lost my net connection...Just in case, you hadn't received it, here it is again...

Thanks for a wonderful recipe...
I tried making frittata once on stove top and it came out ok..Will try your recipe this time..It sounds yummy!

11:52 AM  
Blogger FH said...

Beauuutiful pictures, Ashwini!! I love frittatas , relatively easy and delicious!! Your's have risen to perfection!!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to try frittatas at home. Yours looks so nice. Will try this for sure for my kids.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great Ashwini! Lovely pictures as usual..so bright and colorful :)

cheers!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Nabeela said...

oh wow...it loos soo yummy...and i love you cute palette plates :)

2:20 PM  
Blogger Lakshmi said...

that looks perfect Ashwini

3:49 PM  
Blogger Mahek said...

hi
ashwini
thanks i always wanted to do the frittata after going thro and knowing about it thro blogs.
and as you know we indias have limited dishes with eggs i will add egg curry to your list so frittata is a welcome change and i will definetly be trying it out

2:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love frittatas Ashwini, I'd like to think of them as eggy pizzas. Used to make it quite some times when i was in the US, because the oven was big enough to accomodate my big skillet and much more. Here i struggle with my 22L Bajaj OTG, and yours seems to be the perfect method to follow.

I would saute the veggies first, then pour beaten eggs and keep separating them with a spatula, until they set then bake the top off in an oven. Your version is simple and doable here--Thanks for the entry, round up comes up soon!

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is looking so delicious and one would like to have so much of it that one would not want to have lunch or Dinner.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Prema Sundar said...

Wonderful Picture and lovely presentation. Thanks for the recipe.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, that does look delicious Ashwini! I've done something similar with chopped spinach and feta cheese. I like your version with all the colorful veggies.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Catherine, Madhuli, Asha, Saffron, Nabeela, Lakshmi, Prema - thanks
Chandrika - it does rise and bake well in the oven so give this method a shot and let me know if it works
Krithika - this is great for kids, let me know how your kids like it
Nandita - loved participating and can't wait for the round up...its going to be in time for the weekend :-)
Hiren - absolutely I agree :-) Pair with a salad and frittata can be a meal by itself
Linda - spinach and feta is my all time favorite too; I omitted it this time

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this looks wonderful ashwini. will definitely try it soon.

9:16 PM  
Blogger PizzaDude said...

Although I dont eat egg, the pictures and the recipe are making me drool.
*drool*

9:26 AM  
Blogger Deepa Culinary World said...

looks very nice .thanks for sharing.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks delicious.

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe i am definately going to make one myself and great photos.

3:34 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

This is just lovely ashwini... Awesome, and the presentation is hmm... unbeatable...

1:23 AM  
Blogger Mahek said...

hi
ashwini
i have tagged you for this meme....
http://love4cooking.blogspot.com/2006/10/meme.html
bye
mahek

1:40 PM  
Blogger Sree said...

Hi AShwini,

Am a new visitor to ur blog:) I tried out the Frittata recipe this weekend and it was as yummy as it looks..Great recipe and cool blog!

5:13 AM  
Blogger Ashwini said...

Sree welcome and thanks for your nice words. Glad you liked the frittata.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi...
the frittata looks really great..will try it soon..am a new visitor to ur blog..also am new to this blogging world..would like to tag u in my blog..

www.divya-dilse.blogspot.com

1:29 AM  
Blogger Sonia said...

Hi Ashwini,
Today,I made Frittata, inspired from your recipe.it was so tasty and something new to me. Thanks.
Sonu:)

5:16 AM  
Blogger Gai3 said...

Hi Ashwini,
When should the cheese be added?

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page