Thursday

Interesting Reads

"High-tech tomatoes. Mysterious milk. Supersquash. Are we supposed to eat this stuff? Or is it going to eat us?" ~ Anita Manning

I posted this quote on my blog a while back, thinking at the time that it was funny but also that it hit the mark in an exaggerated sort of way.
Not that exaggerated I think, since reading an article I came across via The Accidental Hedonist, a blog I read often for Kate's unforgiving look at the American food industry. (Here's an ongoing list of products containing HFCS that she maintains).
The article is an eye opener - "What is 'real' Kraft cheese?"

While you are at it, spare a few minutes to read this excellent piece of writing - Unhappy Meals by Michael Pollan. It's quite a long article so if you are in a hurry scroll down to the nine rules of thumb at the end.

7 Comments:

Blogger FH said...

I think I have been to Kate's blog before and then lost touch somehow! She has some fascinating articles indeed.Thanks Ashwini!:)

11:54 AM  
Blogger Lakshmik said...

Hi Ashwini

Yes, I am also 'no-no' for high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils. I do not buy foods that have these two ingredients. Nice links.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Anjali Koli said...

Ashwini I did read the unhappy meal...yeah it is just repeating grandmas advice. If we don't know about a certain type of food don't consume it she said but who listens. All of us in the new world are always looking out for fancy foods the more we travel the world the more we explore. Yes the balance comes in by getting to know what goes in. Becoming a vegetarian Indian style has worked for me. Thanks.

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WAH!!! that was an eye opener!!!!

Thanks ashwini. :)

2:15 AM  
Blogger g said...

Thanks for linking the articles. Very eye opening. I was looking at the list and realized that luckily I dont consume ANY of the products listed there. What about you?

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

check this out, ashwini.
http://weightoftheevidence.blogspot.com/2007/02/more-unhappy-meals.html

11:34 AM  
Blogger Lady Mcbeth said...

Your interesting read is indeed interesting! IMO, people need to move away from low calorie, low carb, south beach etc fads and concentrate on eating healthier food.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Main Page